Dr Roberta Guerrina
Senior Lecturer / Head of School
Qualifications: PhD International Politics - University of Wales Aberystwyth, MSc (Econ) International Relations - University of Wales Aberystwyth, BA - Lyons College (USA)
Phone: Work: 01483 68 2865
Room no: 11 AC 05
Autumn Semester 2011/12
Roberta Guerrina is Senior Lecturer and Head of the School of Politics at the University of Surrey. She is a European policy analyst with a particular interest in European social policy, citizenship policy and gender equality. She has published in the area of women’s human rights, work-life balance, identity politics and the idea of Europe. She is author of Mothering the Union: Gender Politics in the EU (Manchester University Press, 2005) and Europe: History, Ideas and Ideologies (Arnold, 2002).
Dr. Guerrina's main research interests are the interface between national, European and international politics, particularly with reference to the role of gender values/norms in shaping policy agendas:
- Gender and EU Politics
- Feminist theories
- Gender and International Relations, particularly Women's Human Rights, stabilisation and foreign policy
- The Idea of Europe and European identity
- EU social policy
Dr. Guerrina is current taking part in the following multidisciplinary projects:
- PIDOP (Processes Informing Democratic Ownership and Participation); FP7 Project; http://www.fahs.surrey.ac.uk/pidop/
The Project is coordinated by Prof. Martyn Barrett (University of Surrey). It is a 36 months project (March 2009-April 2012), looking at multi-level processof civic and political engagement and participation in traditionally marginal groups: women, youths, migrants and minorities.
Dr Guerrina is coordinator of Work Package 2, providing detailed policy analysis of current European and national approaches to active citizenship and promoting political participation.
- Unintended Gender Consequences of EU Policies
Dr. Gill Allwood (Nottingham Trent University), Dr. Heather MacRae (York University, Canada) and Dr. Guerrina have been leading this research network since March 2010. This is a multinational research network looking to bring together key scholars of gender EU studies, looking at the gender impact on EU policies.
The work of the network will be published in a special issue of Women's Studies International Forum in 2012.
- Motherhood in Europe
This is a multidisciplinary network looking at the normative dimension of motherhood in Europe. It is coordinated by Prof. Gill Rye (School of Advanced Studies, University of London)
The network is funded by the ESRC
- 'Unintended consequences of EU policies: Reintegrating gender in European studies'. Women's Studies International Forum, 39, pp. 1-2. . (2013)
- 'Unintended consequences of EU policies: Reintegrating gender in European studies'. Women's Studies International Forum, . (2013)
- 'Gender and European External Relations: Dominant Discourses and Unintended Consequences of Gender Maisntreaming'. Elsevier Ltd Women's Studies International Forum, Full text is available at: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/730190/
This paper presents a critical assessment of the unintended consequences of gender mainstreaming when applied to European external relations. It seeks to address two distinct but interrelated questions: 1) has gender mainstreaming, as a strategy and political objective, fulfilled its potential? and 2) what kind of gender order is emerging in the context of a wider European equality agenda, which includes external relations within its remit. Using discourse analysis it will identify the dominant gender discourses in European external relations and foreign policy documents and compare this to the overarching aims of equality principles enshrined within the Treaties. It will look specifically at the European Neighbourhood Policy as it provides a useful starting point and areas of comparison given its similarity, in terms of power relations between the EU and third countries, to the process of enlargement.
- 'Negotiating difference/negotiating rights: the challenges and opportunities of women's human rights'. CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES, 33 (1), pp. 5-10. . (2007)
- 'Constitutional Politics in Europe: Continuing Trends in the Politics of Gender'. Identities: Journal for Politics Gender and Culture, 4 (8/9), pp. 9-35. . (2006)
- 'Gender Mainstreaming and the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights'. Policy, Organisation and Society, 22 (1), pp. 97-115. . (2003)
- 'Employment Policy and the Family in the EU'. Cross National Research Papers - Employment Relationships and Family Life, 6 (4) . (2003)
- 'Mothering in Europe - Feminist critique of European policies on motherhood and employment'. SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF WOMENS STUDIES, 9 (1), pp. 49-68. . (2002)
- 'Equality, difference and motherhood: the case for a feminist analysis of equal rights and maternity legislation'. CARFAX PUBLISHING JOURNAL OF GENDER STUDIES, 10 (1), pp. 33-42. . (2001)
- 'Constructing gender in the EU: the case of equality and maternity rights'. Current Economics and Politics of Europe, 10 (1), pp. 27-50. . (2001)
- 'The EU's social dimension: Current trends and future perspectives'. ROUTLEDGE JOURNAL OF EUROPEAN PUBLIC POLICY, 7 (2), pp. 325-331. . (2000)
- 'Social policy: a new feminist analysis - Pascall,G'. CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS, 73 (4), pp. 790-790.doi: 10.2307/2624491
- '(Re)Presenting Women: social conservatism, gender and the politics of sex in contemporary Italian politics.'. University of Antwerp, Brussels: 40th ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops . (2012)
- 'Representing Women in Europe: Trends and Challenges for the EU'. Passau (Germany) : UACES Conference Exchanging Ideas on Europe, Panel P102: EU as a Gender Actor I: Mainstreaming and Institution . (2012)
- 'Gender, Ideology & the Political Economy of Austerity: The Mother War Continues…'. Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies, University of London: the Post-1968 Motherhood in Europe Network . (2012)
- 'Gender and European External Relations: Dominant Discourses and Unintended Consequences of Gender Mainstreaming’'. Central European University, Budapest: ECPR Second European Conference on Politics and Gender . (2011)
- 'Intended & Unintended Gendered Consequences of Interventions: Mainstreaming and the impact of 1325”'. Manchester Conference Centre, Manchester: BISA Annual Conference . (2011)
- '(Re)Presenting Women: gender and the politics of sex in contemporary Italy'. in Childs S (ed.) Gender, Conservatism and Political Representation . (2014)
- 'Parental leave rights in Italy: reconciling gender ideologies with the demands of Europeanization'. in James G, Busby N (eds.) Families, Care-Giving and Paid Work. Challenging Labour Law in the 21st Century
Chelteham, UK : Edward Elgar Publishing Limited Article number 6 , pp. 104-115.Full text is available at: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/235566/
- 'The Reproduction of Mothering'. in O'Reilly A, Golson JG (eds.) The Encyclopedia of Motherhood
London : Sage Publications Inc. 3Full text is available at: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/235567/
- 'Employment, Policy, Women's labour market activation and demographic trends'. in Beveridge F, Velluti S (eds.) Gender and the open method of coordination: Perspectives on Law, Governance and Equality in the EU
Aldershot, England : Ashgate Publishing Limited , pp. 35-54.Full text is available at: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/235565/
- 'Gender, interests and constitutional matters in the EU: The case of the Charter of Fundamental Rights'. in Hill LCAL (ed.) The Politics of Women's Interests Routledge , pp. 175-192. . (2006)
- Women on the Front Line and Other Equality Matters. e-International Relations . (2013)
- The UK’s Approach to UNSCR 1325: Limitations of Gender Mainstreaming?. e-International Relations . (2012)
- Birthing on the Front Line: A Tale of Military Femininity. e-International Relations . (2012)
- European Social Policy
- Introduction to politics and international relations
- EU politics and governance
- The international system
- International Relations Theories
- IR and Globalisation
Contemporary Western European Society; The idea of Europe; Women in Italy; Contemporary Italian politics; Gender and IR; Human Rights in Europe.
Current or Recent Professional Activity
Membership of the British International Studies Association; the University Association for Contemporary European Studies; the Political Studies Association; the Women's Studies Network.