Passwords & Access
We use Institutional Login to access e-resources.
- Use the links on the Library Databases page or
- Look for the Institutional login on the resource provider site.
On the resource provider site Institutional Login may be called:
- UK Federation Login
- Institutional Login
- Shibboleth Login
- Academic Sign in
- Home Organisation
Once you have clicked on a link, select University of Surrey (or UK Federation followed by University of Surrey).
You will then be directed to the University of Surrey login page:
Use your University account username and password to login.
Before the 20th August 2012 we used Athens to access e-resources. Athens access has now been switched off.
For more information about the changes, please visit the Accessing E-Resources page.
If you used Athens to login, you may have set a Cookie on your computer. This will need to be removed to enable you to login using Institutional Login. Please use the Remove Cookie button on the right to delete the cookie.
Please check the list of Databases to see how to access the e-resources you want to use.
Most are available on-campus without needing to login, or by using Institutional Login. There are a few other possiblities you may see:
These resources can be accessed by logging in to the Gateway page with your University username and password, then follow the link to the resource:
- Blackwell Reference Online
- British Standards Online
- Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures
- Springer Protocols
2. Individual passwords
A few resources require individual passwords. These are listed on a secure page which you can login to with your University username and password.
- AES Electronic Library
- African American Song
- AgeInfo Web
- American Song
- Arts Professional
- Business Insights (formerly Reuters Business Insights)
- Cite Them Right
- Classical Music Library
- CO2 emissions from fuel combustion : 1971-2005
- Contemporary World Music
- Counseling and Therapy in Video
- Diabetes Care
- Energy policies of IEA countries: United Kingdom 2006 review
- Energy technology perspectives 2008 : in support of the G8 plan of action: Part 1 , Part 2 , Part 3
- Food Technology
- IEA Energy Policies Review : The European Union 2008
- International Journal of Childbirth Education
- Institute of Hospitality
- ITU - World Telecommunication/ICT Indicators Database Online
- ITU - R Recommendations
- ITU - T Recommendations
- Jazz Music Library
- Lloyds Law Reports
- Lloyds Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly
- Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law
- Mental Health Nursing
- Music Online Portal
- Nag News
- Naxos Music Library
- Naxos Video Library
- Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights
- OSH Update
- Rehabilitation Nursing
- Reuters Business Insights
- SCI Blue Book
- SciFinder Scholar
- Smithsonian Global Sound
- SPRIG Bulletin
- Times Higher Education Supplement
Go to http://remote.surrey.ac.uk, and login with your University username and password (please check that the Realm box shows Active Directory) Then click on the "Library Resources not usually available off campus" page for a list of resources.
Please only use this method when directed to do so.
There are some online resources that can only be accessed from computers on the University of Surrey campus, due to software restrictions:
- Bloomberg (only available to School of Management staff and students from a terminal in the SoM building)
- Datastream (only available to School of Management staff and students from a terminal in the SoM building)
If you set the Athens Cookie on your computer, please click this button to remove it, so you can use Institutional Login: